Revised: May 25, 2018
2. What Information We Collect
As a general matter, you can browse the Websites without submitting your personal information to us. However, there are a number of circumstances in which you may need to provide us with your personal information. The following lists the most common ways in which we collect your personal information:
- When you sign up to receive e-mail newsletters from us;
- When you participate in surveys, panels, or research;
- When you register for and participate in our programs, activities, initiatives, and events;
- When you request information or assistance;
- In conjunction with processing your grant applications;
- In conjunction with your employment inquiries or applications;
- When you participate with social media accounts involving MSDF properties;
- When you participate in communities, chat rooms, and other interactive services;
- In conjunction with any verification of your account information;
- In conjunction with investigations into any activity that may violate the law or the Websites’ terms and conditions;
- When you communicate with us through our Websites;
- When you provide user-generated content on any part of our Websites that permits it; and
- In conjunction with any other place on the Websites where you knowingly volunteer personal information.
When you interact with any MSDF page or account on a social media platform, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Instagram or YouTube, we may also collect the personal information that you make available to us on that page or through that account, including your account ID or “handle.”
3. Collection of Non-Personalized User Data
Similar to other websites, we may collect some information automatically and store it in log files. This information does not identify you. This collection may include, but is not limited to: your domain name and host for internet access, the internet address of the site from which you came, the date and time of your access, your computer’s IP address and information about its operating system, browser, and host, the date and time you access the site and the pages you visit. We collect this non-identifying information in order to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer the site. We also use it to help identify you and to gather broad demographic information. We may automatically collect information using the following mechanisms:
Pixels (aka web beacons/web bugs/java script). Pixels are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that are used to track the online movements of web users. Unlike cookies, which are stored on a computer’s hard drive, pixels are small graphics that are about the size of the period at the end of the sentence that are embedded invisibly on web pages or in HTML-based emails. Our third-party analytics providers may place pixels on the site that track what other websites you visit (both before and after visiting the site). Our third-party analytics providers use information obtained from pixels to help us improve our business and the site. We do not control the use of pixels by third parties.
4. Collection of Personally Identifiable Information
MSDF may collect personally identifiable information via the Websites from users who voluntarily provide such information. Personally identifiable information will not be collected by any method that does not involve an affirmative action on the part of the user to submit such information to MSDF, for example, providing name and email address when signing up for a newsletter.
Users acknowledge and agree that MSDF may use such information in any manner reasonably related to its charitable purposes. Such charitable purposes may include disclosure of personally identifiable information to MSDF’s employees and third party contractors working on behalf of MSDF in support of MSDF’s administrative functions.
5. How We Combine Your Information
We may combine information gathered from the Websites and information that we have received, gathered, acquired, or stored from other sources, both information collected offline by MSDF and information received from third parties—including information that currently exists in our files—into a single customer record. We also use and/or combine information that we collect offline or receive from third-party sources (e.g., contact information from government funders or grantor information) to edit, enhance, and/or check the accuracy of your customer record.
6. How We Use Your Information
We use the information we learn from you to help us personalize and continually improve your experience on the Websites. We use your personal and non-personal information in the following ways:
- For editorial purposes;
- Responding to your inquiries;
- Communicating with you about your account or transactions with us and sending you information about features on our Websites or about the Foundation;
- Communicating with you about changes to our policies;
- Personalizing content and experiences on our Websites, including providing you with recommendations based on your preferences;
- Sending you newsletters, mailings, and information about programs, initiatives, activities, and events by e-mail or another medium;
- Processing your grant application or employment application;
- Event or program registration;
- Optimizing or improving our programs, services, and operations;
- Detecting, investigating, and preventing activities that may violate our policies or be illegal;
- Performing statistical, demographic, and marketing analyses of users of the Websites and their usage patterns; and
- Managing our organization.
7. How We Share Your Information
MSDF adheres to the highest standards of ethical practices in all our operations and is dedicated to protecting the privacy of all visitors to our Websites. Except as disclosed below, we never sell your personal information to anyone outside MSDF. We may share or give access to your personal information where it is in the legitimate interest of furthering MSDF’s charitable purposes.
We occasionally use independent contractors and third-party agents, affiliates, and partners to perform functions such as marketing, analytics, providing customer service, etc., on our behalf. These entities have access to the personal information needed to perform their functions and are obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of any personal information collected from the Websites.
We may also use or disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to applicable law or comply with legal process served on us or the Websites; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, the Websites, or our users; and (c) act under emergency circumstances to protect the personal safety of us, our affiliates, our agents, or the users of the Websites or the public.
8. Personal Information
We will use reasonable efforts to securely process all personal information and provide:
- Access to your personal information;
- Correction of the personal information that we hold;
- Deletion of your personal information;
- A restriction of processing of your personal information; and
- Transfer of your personal information to another party
We consider that MSDF has a legitimate interest in collecting and processing your personal information. MSDF is committed to investing in charitable endeavors that further our mission of improving the lives of children living in urban poverty. This provides our lawful basis to use your personal information, within the limitations set forth herein.
If you have any questions or requests regarding this policy, if you would like to change your preferences, if you no longer wish to receive e-mail updates from MSDF, or if you believe MSDF has erroneous or incomplete information about you, please send an e-mail to [email protected].